ALABAMA FUNERAL AND CEMETERY NEGLIGENCE LAWYER
When dealing with the loss of a loved one, you rightfully trust a funeral home, cemetery, or crematory to properly care for your loved one’s body. Unfortunately, this trust is often violated, which can be one of the most shocking and devastating issues to face in your time of grief. If you are dealing with these unthinkable acts of carelessness, there is recourse available and these businesses can be held liable for these acts of dishonor.
The Clarkson Firm has experience dealing with these types of cases. We will make every effort to hold these businesses accountable for their negligence and misconduct while getting you the compensation you deserve. We can also pursue injunctive relief, such as having a grave moved to the proper location, if that becomes necessary.
EXAMPLES OF TYPES OF CASES WE CAN HANDLE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Failure to honor family plot arrangements
- Disruption of the grave
- Failure to treat the remains with proper respect
- Lost remains
- Misplaced tombstones
- Improper burial practices
- Improper exhumations without consent
- Stacking remains in oversold plots
Attorney Abbey Herrin Clarkson has experience successfully handling these types of claims, including in appealing these cases to the Alabama Supreme Court or the Alabama Court of Civil Appeals. Representative cases Abbey has handled:
- Jakeman v. Lawrence Group Management Company, LLC, 151 So.3d 1083 (Ala. 2014). The Alabama Supreme Court found that Abbey’s client had standing to bring claims against a cemetery who had buried a stranger in the client’s family burial plot.
- Bailey et. al v. City of Leeds, Ala. Court of Civil Appeals, 2020. The Alabama Court of Civil Appeals ruled that Abbey’s clients had properly sued the City of Leeds for negligence when the City removed, damaged, and lost grave artifacts of the clients’ family graves in the City-owned cemetery.
If you believe that you are a victim of funeral home, cemetery, or crematory negligence, please give us a call at 256.638.3323 for a free consultation. We are here to help you have the peace of mind in knowing that your deceased loved one will receive the respect and honor they deserve.